Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hope is the Real Thing...







Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all.”
Emily Dickinson

I went to sleep feeling hopeless and helpless, a crazy emotional cocktail that leaves a nasty hangover. I found out last night that many of the children at New Hope are HIV+. What is the "hope" for New Hope? How can I make a difference? Is there a sustainable way to support them? I still haven't answered those questions, but I intend to. I read this morning that scientists have discovered that King Tut died in 1327 B.C. of malaria. That's interesting, but I would rather focus on the children who are living and dying today. King Tut's story is continuing to be told through the voice of scientists. Who will tell the story of New Hope? Perhaps the universe invited me here to tell this story. Two of the girls who I spent time with are named Faith and Patience. Faith, Patience, Hope...again, perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something. One of the lines from
Jayber Crow
just flashed across my heart, "I have been unable to shake the feeling that I have been led." Why was I led to a little orphanage on the shores of Lake Victoria? The children of New Hope have perched in my soul and I must find a way to give words to their tune.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Amanda, Your powerful words give me great HOPE and lift me from the depths of my being. THANK YOU for your courage to share your experience and it soothes me as I am in and out of depression because I am not in Uganda with you and the group. Your blog indeed gives a voice to the children of NEW HOPE. YOU ARE HOPE! You are. You pass hope on by keeping your heart open (as you have done so beautifully!). It is the ego that says if you can't save 'em all, F#%* it!!! Remember, the story of the Starfish and trust that you are making a difference far beyond your mind's ability to comprehend. Moment by moment life unfolds us and you will be led exactly where you need to go in perfect time. This experience will be with you all of your days and will impact everything and everyone you touch. YOU ARE AMAZING. You are a warrior, indeed. Shine on, girl! Kathy McHugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, thank you for sharing this journey -- I feel that it may be just the start of your journey but it is amazing what you have done. I can only imagine how hopeless and helpless you have felt at times but I sure hope you realize the difference you have made for the people you have met, helped, listened to, laughed with, sang with, practiced yoga with, built with....simply spent precious time with.
    Safe travels. I know it will be challenging to be back in your regular world, but know we are here for you! Love you! Char

    ReplyDelete