Monday, February 15, 2010

As Etta James would say, I am T-I-D-E.





We are heading back to the Building Tomorrow work site today. My muscles, physical and emotional, are tired and sore. Like any muscle that has been overworked, my heart is beginning to show signs of fatigue. I wonder how far I can stretch it. I worry that my reach isn't far enough. I want to hold this pose as long as I can, but I know there are other postures that are just as important. I have children at home who need me too. They have warm beds, clean clothes, plenty of food, and wonderful schools, but they need their mother as much as any of the children here. They are part of the reason I am here. I want them to have dreams, I want them to know they can make a difference, I want them to witness their world up close---even the parts of it that aren't easy to look at. Our hearts can become weak and lazy if we don't use them enough. I will keep stretching mine as far as I can while I am here with the children of Uganda. Then I will return home and wrap it around my own children.

1 comment:

  1. "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."--Edith Wharton
    I always believed this Edith Wharton quote was an "either/or" situation--the candle or the mirror. But Amanda you have a unique ability to change rules and expectations (one of the many reasons I like you so much). The joy you are clearly bringing to the people of Uganda, not to mention the much-needed supplies, show you to be a beautiful and bright candle. Your blog and your glimpses of Africa show you to be an incredible mirror as well--reflecting the beauty of the Ugandan people and their plight all the way back to Bend Oregon. Thank you for doing, and for sharing, this. The world is better because of your T-I-D-E-ness, thank you.
    Love and miss you,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete