Thursday, February 11, 2010

Night Light




I spent my first night in Kasana having dinner in the home of Bubeera. She is one of the HIV+ women who is working with Shanti Uganda. Her home is a one-room concrete structure. A curtain separates the living area with the sleeping area. Bubeera has 4 children, but only her 10 year old daughter still lives with her. Her 3 sons have gone to live with their grandparents because they will "have better opportunities." Reality rules in Uganda where heartbreak is a daily occurrence. Bubeera has no electricity or running water. She prepared dinner for us on a small charcoal stove outside. We sat on mats upon the concrete floor and ate by the light of her cell phone. I have stopped trying to make sense of it all.
The children in Bubeera's neighborhood, ever-intrigued by the mizungas, spent the entire evening just outside of the fabric curtain that serves as her front door. They giggled and squealed with delight when I took pictures of them. They are so full of light and love.
Bubeera kept thanking me for coming to dinner. I owe her so much more than she owes me. She has allowed me to witness her world and, therefore, expand my own. I have seen strength, resilience, and hope shine brightly in what could seem utter darkness. I hope my own light shines a little brighter for having been touched by hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment