Monday, February 8, 2010



It's not the load that breaks you down - its the way you carry it”
Lou Holtz

While visiting the Acholi slum, we helped distribute beans, rice, and flour to several families. I saw how the Acholi women carried the heavy bags atop their heads, usually carrying a baby across their back as well. I passed the baby back to Christine and told her I could carry the food to her home for her. I wanted to lighten her load. It looked easy enough. I put the bag on my head and followed Christine down the red dirt street past mud shack after mud shack. The men snickered behind their beer bottles, the children openly laughed and called out "Mizunga, Mizunga." It means white person, or maybe crazy white person in my case. I tried to smile and act as if it were the most natural thing in the world for me to be strolling through an African slum with a bag of donated food on my head. Suddenly, the bag ripped and I was showered in beans. Christine quickly grabbed the bag from me and tried to stop the loss of legumes. She even grabbed a handful from down the front of my shirt. I raced back to the distribution center for another bag. When I returned she was picking beans up off of the road. She laughed at the beans stuck in my hair. Then she thanked me for the new bag, placed it atop her head and continued on down the road to her small 1 room mud home with her sweet little baby strapped to her back. No, I would never know the way to carry her load.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, Blair shared this site with me. Wow! The journey you are taking. In awe! I look forward to following your journey! When I grow up I want to be like you:0). I think your birthday is coming up, too! Happy day! Nicole

    ReplyDelete