Sunday, May 22, 2011

School's in Session






"We are all students and we are all teachers." Abramz Tekya

My first day in Uganda. I traveled 30 hours to get here. Fortunately, I have found the perfect cure for jetlag---inspiration. Just as I was beginning to feel the overwhelming urge to nap today (2:00 am Oregon time), I willed my eye lids to remain open while I met with a young Ugandan B-Boy by the name of Abramz Tekya. I am ready to testify that inspiration is better than Red Bull. As I listened to Abramz discuss his dream of empowering Ugandan youth through breakdance, I felt myself becoming energized. When he asked if we'd like to see his program in action, all thoughts of napping were gone. Jetlag VS. Breakdance Project Uganda....no contest. I hopped in a cab and went to my first ever breakdance battle. WOW. I saw empowered youth. I saw inspiration in motion. I saw passion & purpose come together and dance. Afterwards, I got to meet my first B-girl, a teenager named Remy. She taught me a few moves. When she said I was a good student, I felt so proud I could hardly contain it. I remembered something that Abramz said at lunch, "at Breakdance Project Uganda, we believe that we are all students and we are all teachers." I added a few important names to my list of teachers today. I learned so much more than a few dance moves.

Peace out y'all.
Bayou B-Girl

2 comments:

  1. P.S. Grandma Rose would have LOVED Abramz....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Amanda! Sometimes it's true that the more we see the less we know. I think that's a Jack Johnson song actually - ha! The connections your making and sharing with everyone else around you is the real magic. That is how compassion is built both at home and abroad. I love it, way to go!

    ReplyDelete