Thursday, May 26, 2011


And when we think we lead, we are most led.
~Lord Byron


I must agree with Lord Byron on this one. Whenever I think I am in control, the universe has a funny way of reminding me who's really in charge. My dad will be surprised to hear me admit that it isn't me. I have been planning this for a year now. I have coordinated service projects, created itineraries, and dreamed of leading this return trip to Uganda. Here I am in Uganda with 10 other people and instead of feeling like a leader, I feel led---led by my heart (because surely my head would have booked a vacation on a sunny beach somewhere). Of course, I really believe my heart is only the co-pilot. I have faith that God is also at the wheel. Each time I start to question why I am here, I have to look no further than this dynamic duo. Despite riots, outbreaks, and the threat of severe abdominal distress, I have been led back to Uganda. I sometimes wonder whether my navigational team really knows what they're doing. I question the universe, I question myself, I question everything. My personal mantra becomes "why". Why me? Why here? Why now? Why not Hawaii? The answers come from the people and projects we work with here in Uganda: the teen mothers who are receiving vocational training at Life in Africa & the children who are attending the daycare center we funded there; the students who will study inside the beautiful school we started building last year for Building Tomorrow & eat from the garden we planted yesterday; and the B-Boys and B-Girls who have popped, locked, and spun their way into my heart forever. These are the sparks that reignite my faith and lead me on. These are the true trip leaders in this adventure. I am just going along for the ride, and oh what a ride it has been....

No comments:

Post a Comment