Saturday, January 30, 2010

I've Come a Long Way, Baby



“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
Shel Silverstein

I often ask myself how a southern girl raised on cold coca colas, central ac, and mosquito repellent ended up living in a place where folks cross country ski to school in winter and wear fleece to the swimming pool in July. This morning, I woke up wondering how I ended up living who I am instead of where I am. I can pinpoint on a map my journey from the bayous of North Louisiana to the mountains of Central Oregon. My personal journey has been much more circuitous, full of scenic detours, idol wanderings and the occasional dead end. I could have taken an easier route or maybe just followed directions better, but getting lost was part of the adventure that has led me to who I am. If we just go through life we may as well be on a treadmill. We have to grow through life and that sometimes means growing pains. I am who I am because I didn't follow directions or stay between the lines. I took leaps of faith and occasionally fell down---hard. But I got back up and kept going, and I will keep on going and growing through my life. I will listen to all of the well-intentioned words of warning and wisdom, but I will listen most closely to my heart because... anything can happen, child. Anything can be. I am a Southern born Southwestern girl living in the Great Northwest and heading to Uganda. I've come a long way, but I've become a long way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment